Thursday, January 3, 2008

Oxford..Oxford

I see from the Feedjit thingy that somebody from Oxford is reading my blog. Whoever you are,welcome to my blog. I wonder how Oxford looks like now apart from the University colleges that would still look the same. I used to live at 362, Cowley Road. Most of us students stayed around Cowley Road,Ilfley Road and Headington for those who studied at Oxford Polytechnic,now called Oxford Brookes University.Most of the other Malaysian students stayed with Pakistani families as most of them owned houses there,from Leopold street right to Crown Street. Just by the side of my rented place was a shop selling newspapers,packets of crisps (Walkers) & chocolates. There used to be about 2 Bed & Breakfast accomodations just across the road. Further down the road,about less than 5 minutes' walk was an Italian restaurant,a pub, then followed by a short stretch of shops. 2 friends,Tony & Philip used to rent a place at Leopold Street. A Greek couple who roasted the best chickens traded not far from a shop called Raja Brothers'. At Raja Brothers' one could get a lot of things halal & non halal. Why do I say that? They sold 'halal' meats and at the same time they sold alcohol. The place was popular among Malay students who got their regular food ration from Raja Brothers'. Opposite Raja Brothers' wasTesco supermarket and some restaurants including a Chinese restaurant. I forget what it was called...except the Pakistani restaurant which I can remember being called Kashmir Restaurant. If I could turn back the clock I would like to set it back to when I was in Oxford. I wonder whether a restaurant called Kam Hong that served the best Dim Sum & Opium Den,not far from the train station still exist. I wonder...still I wonder and I wonder.

No comments: