Thursday, October 18, 2007

Trip To The Other Side Of the Border Part 1



Seria Plaza

Notice how the cars stop at the pedestrian crossing to let people cross over.



YESTERDAY....NO,I'm not about to hum the Beatles's song,I'm just going to write about the trip we made to Seria & Kuala Belait yesterday. Having nothing much in particular to do, a friend suggested driving to Seria and off,we went.3 of us.(Cikgu Margaret,Cikgu Doria & I). I was driving since I pretty much know which road to turn to & if I went the wrong direction,I could quickly come back to find the exits.




Anyway,we left Lutong about 8.30am and by 9 something we're already in a coffee shop in Seria stuffing ourselves with chicken pau & mee kolok.(nadai mee kolok char siew sida dia) For the benefit of those who would like to know how to get to Kuala Belait,this is what you do: Drive to Sg Tujoh via the Asean Bridge of which you have to pay RM10 for the toll. The road is superb. Then a few minutes later,there's the Malaysian Immigration check point where they stamp your passports. A few 'yards' away,then,it's the Brunei Immigration. When I went there in September, we had to fill in the Embarkation form but this month we didn't have to. They keep changing the requirements. Wait til you hear this,effective 1st October,non-Brunei registered cars are only permitted to buy $10 worth of petrol and $7 worth of diesel in designated petrol kiosks. Why?The fuel is heavily subsidised by the Brunei Gov't and hence,the protection,I guess. Oh about the journey...before reaching Kuala Belait,one has to pass another toll. Here,the charge is $3. So,all in all,it's RM20 for the toll on the Malaysian side and $6 for the Kuala Belait toll plaza return. How long would it take to reach KBelait from,let's say,Lutong Bridge?..I would say about 45mins to an hour if there's not much traffic on the way. Is it worth going there? Oklah,for a change. It's clean,foreign and it's different. Stay tune for more!

No comments: