Saturday, December 1, 2007

Trip to Kuching last Thursday til Saturday :
We left Miri on the 8.40am flight as scheduled and arrived in Kuching an hour later, just in time for D to attend the Islamic banking seminar organised by Malayan Banking at Crowne Plaza hotel thanks to Judy's efficiency. The weather was rainy; had popiah,roti kahwin & jam tarts at Choon Hui's,near Grand Continental Hotel despite the downpour;the rain somehow stopped late afternoon,so we did a bit of shopping at India Street;D ate the sup babi campur at Bishop's Gate while I gave it a miss because I had it during my last trip together with the SIDS ladies; after D finished his soup, then we walked to the eatery opposite a Chinese temple at Carpenter's Street for my favourite satay babi & a bowl of tunghoon fishballs soup. D also had a bowl of the fishballs soup but did not eat the satay babi because he could not bring himself to eat satay babi other than satay ayam or satay daging sapi/lembu. In the evening Judy brought us to 'New Hongkong Seafood' restaurant but the food was not as good as before. While we were having our dinner,D's aunty called to say she wanted to meet us,so we left early and went out with her and D's cousin for another round of drinks at another eatery. WoW! Kuching really has a lot of eating places,the many-many shophouses from one end of the road to another end. I thought Miri was BIG but Kuching is BIGGER!
Friday: It rained,rained,rained,raining and rained again.Kuching was filled with tourists both local and foreign tourists. A lot of things was/were going on in Kuching,hotels were full and traffic jam sana sini(here & there) and especially so, around the Crowne Plaza area on Friday night. Why? Among other events,..it's the SS's daughter's wedding reception to an Australian. While waiting for Judy to fetch us from the hotel for dinner at Benson's, we just sat down at the lobby and from where I was sitting I could see the 'Creme de le creme' or in short,the 'cream' of Kuching society,who's who in Kuching arriving in their chauffered driven cars driven by their depts' drivers,YBs & wives,some 'have had/had had-been' retired government servants and mostly serving government servants,afterall,the boss's anak's getting married.I wanted to snap some photos but I was too malu to do so. Saw TYT's, CM's, & a few other bigshots' limos parked at the entrance and sides of the hotel. The area & road surrounding the hotel was chaotic + the non-stop rain. I spotted an old friend who I did not see for a long long time with her husband coming out from a chauffered driven car but I didnot dare to say "hI'.

Saturday: The rain continued until we left for the airport but we managed to see our apartment before we left as the apartment is not far from the airport,near Green Heights. We booked the apartment called Eden Heights in 1997 when this construction company did a road show at Mega Hotel,during the economic downturn. It was moderately priced so we got one and the developer promised us that it would be ready in 3 years. Up til today,the project has not finished..now it is in its 10th year. It's supposed to have a clubhouse, a swimming pool and the package that they offered us included everything in the apartment including curtains.We only need to bring our clothings to the apartment,they said.I won't be surprised even after 11 or 12 years,the project is still not completed.
5.30pm - Landed at Miri airport..not evena drop of rain..I had to water my plants as soon as I got out of my car. My so-called "$$$$$" plants were wilting. I cannot afford to let them die..I have bills to pay. My friend swears to the state of the '$$$$" plants indicates one's misfortune or fortune. Pengyu..pengyu. If the plants have pink flowers then you have a lot of money...if no flowers, no moneylah,pengyu. Before I left for any of the holidays that I blogged about,the plants had pink flowers, now the flowers are brown and falling off like the autumn leaves. Bad days are here to come...

No comments: