Thursday, November 15, 2007

Why is my blog mainly in English ?

My blog is mainly in English because Joe a.k.a. Joseph Charles Willits reads my blog and even though he knows how to speak Iban,there would be quite a bit that he would not be able to understand. That's one reason..the other is that,after years & years of being a housewife,a seasoned 'kopi shop' regular & the circle of friends I hang out with,my spoken & written English has gone down the drain. It is a pity,really, to have forgotten how to spell certain words without referring to the dictionary or click to the abc icon on the computer to check the spellings. Most times I am 'lost' for words. Years ago,I thought in "English", like, when I wanted to say a little prayer,words in English flowed unceasingly. Now,I think in "Iban" even though I still struggle when I have to put my prayers in Iban and I always find difficulty in translating the prayer points from the pew news as I do the Intercessory Prayer during the Iban service because my Iban is sub-standard,according to my tutor,my critic & my husband.
I blog because I want to 'exercise' my memory. Of late, I have been so forgetful, like, I do not remember what I did a few hours ago,like,did I remember to switch off the lights, did I turn off the gas knobs,you know, things like that. BUT if you were to ask me about my childhood, things that happened in my early years,I can still remember most happenings but not all of them. I'd be lying if I said I could remember all. That's why I have the "AS TIME GOES BY" series. HmmHmm! OK you guys see you later! (to quote Florence....American accent,pls)

No comments: